Helping you move more
Getting active doesn't always have to mean aerobics or running. Everyday activities such as housework, gardening, taking the stairs or a gentle walk can be a great place to start.
Try to build up to 30 minutes of moderate activity a day on five days of the week. This is an activity that leaves you feeling warm and breathing more heavily than usual (such as brisk walking, swimming or cycling).
If you are just starting you can try splitting the 30 minutes up into two sessions of 15 minutes or three sessions of 10 minutes.
Here are some ideas to become more physically active:
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Get off the bus a stop earlier
- Leave the car at home and walk or cycle to work, school or the shops
- Take a walk in your lunch hour
- Take up a new activity such as walking, cycling or dancing.